[fw-wiz] Blocking Peer to peer tools

From: Tim Chettle (tim.chettle@orange.net)
Date: 03/06/03

    From: "Tim Chettle" <tim.chettle@orange.net>
    To: <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 19:36:30 -0800

    I have come across an application called E-donkey which is a Peer to peer
    file sharing tool

    In the past I have blocked similar tools by blocking access to the directory
    servers that the software uses however this tool appear to replicate the
    server lists to create a web affect.

    Whilst at present looking at the server list hosted on the site there are a
    list of IP Address' that I can block access to I am looking for a more
    permanent solution that I could hopefully block at my web cache.

    Anybody any experience / suggestions as to how to approach this and also
    what other peer to peer tools do people block and how

    Thanks Tim