RE: [fw-wiz] insecurity in internet connection thro cable modems

From: Noonan, Wesley (Wesley_Noonan@bmc.com)
Date: 02/15/03

    From: "Noonan, Wesley" <Wesley_Noonan@bmc.com>
    To: "'Brian Ford'" <brford@cisco.com>, firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
    Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 13:27:51 -0600

    Having used both, I strongly prefer a PIX. It is much easier to maintain a
    bunch of PIXen than it is to maintain a bunch of netscreens. It's not that
    the netscreens are bad, it is just that the TCO is too high to try to
    maintain a "fleet" of them. In addition, I find their (netscreen) VPN
    support to be... well... lacking. It is a very convoluted process, much like
    the PIX was 2 years ago.

    HTH

    Wes Noonan, MCSE/CCNA/CCDA/NNCSS/Security+
    Senior QA Rep.
    BMC Software, Inc.
    (713) 918-2412
    wnoonan@bmc.com
    http://www.bmc.com

      ... GlobalPro makes it easier to maintain a fleet of Netscreens. ... Netscreen IPSec with Cisco PIX, Cisco IOS, Checkpoint, Cisco VPN3k, FreeSWAN; ... Support for preshared keys, x509 certs, ldap auth, and securid ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • RE: [fw-wiz] insecurity in internet connection thro cable modems
      ... missed something in the config or docs), I found that I was unable to get it ... I just kind of feel like netscreen is about where the PIX was 2 ... > Netscreen IPSec with Cisco PIX, Cisco IOS, Checkpoint, Cisco VPN3k, ... >> bunch of PIXen than it is to maintain a bunch of netscreens. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • RE: [fw-wiz] insecurity in internet connection thro cable modems
      ... On the PIX it is a single command ... BTW, you can also get it to work with MS Certificate Server, but the process ... > by using the laod button on the CA tab. ... >>> bunch of PIXen than it is to maintain a bunch of netscreens. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • RE: [fw-wiz] insecurity in internet connection thro cable modems
      ... It's not hard to generate a free SSL cert for a Netscreen if you have access ... - Create a local certificate request on the netscreen you want to manage. ... I just kind of feel like netscreen is about where the PIX was 2 ... >> bunch of PIXen than it is to maintain a bunch of netscreens. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: PIX 506E vs NetScreen 5XP/5XT
      ... I work for reseller that sells both Cisco and NetScreen. ... although PIX OS 6.3 is suppose to fix a lot of these ... Both the OS, VPN Client, and ICMP support. ... > because its a Cisco and seems solid, but I like the Netscreens because ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)