[fw-wiz] Query on OS hardening

From: Tim Chettle (tim.chettle@orange.net)
Date: 02/15/03

    From: "Tim Chettle" <tim.chettle@orange.net>
    To: <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
    Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 18:26:43 -0800

    I have at present a number of Distrubuted Firewalls based on solaris 2.6 and
    Checkpoint 4.1 approx 10

    I am at present creating a hardened Build for Solaris 8 to use when i deploy
    NG in the not too distanf future.

    My question is as to what methods people use to manage and monitor the
    underlying Unix operating systems on the firewalls. SNMP doesnt seem the
    best thing to be running on the Firewall itself so how would people suggest
    that i monitore the OS

    All suggestions greatfully received

    • Re: VMS cluster behind a *NIX firewall
      ... you are talking about homegrown firewalls rather than commercial offerings). ... growing market share and VMS is shrinking. ... I run VMS, Solaris, RHEL, and Windows XP at home. ... Applications, applications, applications, applications,... ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: VMS cluster behind a *NIX firewall
      ... There is no access to raw Solaris for outsiders to attack (unless ... you are talking about homegrown firewalls rather than commercial offerings). ... I have had telnet turned off on every server box of any kind ... the VMS community. ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: VMS cluster behind a *NIX firewall
      ... There is no access to raw Solaris for outsiders to attack (unless ... you are talking about homegrown firewalls rather than commercial offerings). ... growing market share and VMS is shrinking. ... I run VMS, Solaris, RHEL, and Windows XP at home. ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: VMS cluster behind a *NIX firewall
      ... There is no access to raw Solaris for outsiders to attack (unless ... you are talking about homegrown firewalls rather than commercial offerings). ... I ran home built firewalls for our department ... The only reasons for changing to the Cisco box were performance and the ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: NFS/firewalls again
      ... But I see that webnfs is practically given up for dead, ... fileserver hosts using simple and varied firewalls (ipf, pfil, ... I know how to handle the Solaris ... server is authorized client user may be ...
      (comp.unix.admin)