Re: [fw-wiz] Packateer

From: m p (sumirati@yahoo.de)
Date: 01/22/03

From: m p <sumirati@yahoo.de>
To: Tim Chettle <chettltj@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed Jan 22 08:44:30 2003

Hi Tim,

 --- Tim Chettle <chettltj@hotmail.com> schrieb:
> Im due to deploy a Packateer on one of my customers connections to control
> their internet connection as it is heavily used.
>
> I was curious to see if anyone had any real worls experience or gotchas they
> had come across

For what reason do you deploy the "Packeteer"? Which product of the company are
you using? Are you doing it to look into the traffic for a usage analysis or
are you doing it for QoS? How fast is their internet connection? How many users
with what kind of traffic are _expected_ to use the internet?
How do you want to "control their internet connection"? What for?

Maybe it is cheaper to install a proxy (if it is not there) or simply a bigger
pipe.

I never heard since now anything about that company. But for traffic analysis
an tcpdump, Ethereal and some knowledge about what _should_ go over the link in
conjunction with perl and gnuplot should do it.

As for QoS the most routers today can do it on service level. If that is not
enough a Packeteer PacketShaper or similiar products from other vendors may
suite you (I have not looked into the product specs).

Hope that helps

Marc

Bis zu 100 MB Speicher bei http://premiummail.yahoo.de

Relevant Pages

  • Re: New Dropbox alternative with 10GB free space
    ... So if your internet connection goes away, ... I use it for some realtime acquisition and control stuff. ... RIAA and MPAA convinced them that all the files were illegal copies ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Packateer
    ... >> their internet connection as it is heavily used. ... > For what reason do you deploy the "Packeteer"? ... Are you doing it to look into the traffic for a usage analysis or ... > As for QoS the most routers today can do it on service level. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Trying to use Panda,
    ... >-Problem with the internet connection. ... >What can I do, I used Panda in the past,without any problems. ... security center to install an active X control under the window title ... Click on the warning to get the option to install the Active X ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: avoid remote desktop but...
    ... disable Remote Access in Control Panel\System. ... How to enable the Internet Connection Firewall ... > recycle bin but they go back to the folder for netmeeting, ... > in ther netmeeting folder, which will not allow me to delete said folder. ...
  • Re: OT: Civil War Narrowly Averted in Schiavo Case
    ... It would appear that you don't like the fact that I am voicing an opinion ... internet connection, or usenet? ... control of our own destiny. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)