Re: [fw-wiz] I cannot install Firestarter

From: Steffen Kluge (kluge@fujitsu.com.au)
Date: 01/15/03


From: Steffen Kluge <kluge@fujitsu.com.au>
To: Firewall Wizard <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
Date: Wed Jan 15 08:45:02 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 02:50, Martin Peikert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Manlio Frizzi wrote:
> > I've problem installing Firestarter
> > I've set up my linux Box Red Hat 8.0
> > Let's make rpm -Uvh firestart......rpm
> > The screen says :libpanel_status.so.0 is needed
>
> welcome to RPM hell. I would install debian - the package management
> debian uses (apt) is more reliable than rpm...

The problem has nothing to do with rpm. The OP tried to install a
package that depends on another one which isn't there. The only two
ways around this are either ignoring the dependency (--nodeps) or
installing the missing package first. The are various rpm installers
around that can do the latter automatically and recursively if required.
I wonder how apt would have handled this situation "more reliably"...

The real issue, however, is that libpanel_status.so (and gnome-core as
a whole) are only present in Gnome version 1.x and RH8 comes with Gnome
version 2.

I can't offer any concrete help here, my first shot would be building
the software from tar ball. If it insists on Gnome 1 stuff and refuses
to build, uninstalling the Gnome 2 environment from the box and
installing Gnome 1.4 from tar ball or rpm's should do the trick.
That, or simply using RH7.3 instead of RH8.

Cheers
Steffen.



Relevant Pages

  • Re: request info re upgrading gnome
    ... and I would like to upgrade it. ... building gnome from source, and I would like some help answering some ... What is the recommended method of upgrading an rpm based gnome ... Installing gnome from source is not at all a trivial process. ...
    (GNOME)
  • Re: request info re upgrading gnome
    ... and I would like to upgrade it. ... building gnome from source, and I would like some help answering some ... What is the recommended method of upgrading an rpm based gnome ... Installing gnome from source is not at all a trivial process. ...
    (GNOME)
  • Re: Newbie Trying To Get Gnome To Launch
    ... > I haven't seen ``porting'' as meaning ``installing the ported application'', ... >> what variables or commands that I need to use to launch the gnome ... Thank you for your guidance and instruction. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: Gnome & FreeBSD I forgot
    ... I decided to add GUI to my GUI-less FreeBSD machine. ... am considering installing Gnome, which I haven't used ... I wanted to know how Gnome feels on FreeBSD, ... I might also get another audio card because VoIP is very important to me. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: "Gnome" package now requires installing "tracker"?
    ... I knew your first post but I thought that you'd forgotten it... ... What I disagree is installing a package that WAS NOT previously ... installed because now is a hard dependency of a package that WAS ... by default in GNOME enhances their DE. ...
    (Debian-User)