Re: [fw-wiz] Re: Anybody Recognize These Uploads?

From: Gary Flynn (flynngn@jmu.edu)
Date: 01/03/03

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn@jmu.edu>
To: Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
Date: Fri Jan  3 14:20:16 2003

Mike Hoskins wrote:

> I think the clear point is that lazy admins (engineers, managers, etc.)
> have caused the current, broken Internet.
>
> Innocent email that gets caught by the RBL of the month, packets that get
> blackholed because the last user started a SYN flood (and the current user
> has no clue, nor dos the ISP/NSP's operations dept), etc., etc. Goodby
> "open" Internet. Ahh, but what did we expect... As the number of people
> on the Internet approaches the number of people in the real world, the
> "open" and "idealistic" Internet (TCP/IP is idealistic) must become like
> the real world and suck more every day.
>
> It's easier to block a country, class A/B/C, etc. than it is to monitor,
> inspect, track and resolve potential issues. Doing things simply because
> they're easy, however, rarely leads to the desired result.

While I agree with your sentiments, I have to disagree with
the reasons you gave.

Engineers and managers can no more "monitor, inspect, track, and
resolve potential issues" brought on by connecting the world's
population than can scientists, politicians, law enforcement, and
religious leaders.

An open network, like an open society, requires cooperative,
educated members for it to function.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services