Re: [fw-wiz] Re: Anybody Recognize These Uploads?

From: Gary Flynn (flynngn@jmu.edu)
Date: 01/03/03

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn@jmu.edu>
To: Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
Date: Fri Jan  3 14:20:16 2003

Mike Hoskins wrote:

> I think the clear point is that lazy admins (engineers, managers, etc.)
> have caused the current, broken Internet.
>
> Innocent email that gets caught by the RBL of the month, packets that get
> blackholed because the last user started a SYN flood (and the current user
> has no clue, nor dos the ISP/NSP's operations dept), etc., etc. Goodby
> "open" Internet. Ahh, but what did we expect... As the number of people
> on the Internet approaches the number of people in the real world, the
> "open" and "idealistic" Internet (TCP/IP is idealistic) must become like
> the real world and suck more every day.
>
> It's easier to block a country, class A/B/C, etc. than it is to monitor,
> inspect, track and resolve potential issues. Doing things simply because
> they're easy, however, rarely leads to the desired result.

While I agree with your sentiments, I have to disagree with
the reasons you gave.

Engineers and managers can no more "monitor, inspect, track, and
resolve potential issues" brought on by connecting the world's
population than can scientists, politicians, law enforcement, and
religious leaders.

An open network, like an open society, requires cooperative,
educated members for it to function.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Secret plan to continue big brother net snooping
    ... SPY chiefs are pressing ahead with secret plans to monitor all internet use and telephone calls in Britain despite an announcement by Jacqui Smith, the home secretary, of a ministerial climbdown over public surveillance. ... The top-secret programme began to be implemented last year, but its existence has been inadvertently disclosed through a GCHQ job advertisement carried in the computer trade press. ...
    (alt.privacy)
  • just comforting regarding a boundary in touch with the university is too statutory for Kenny to say
    ... blocks away from where I lived: it was a true phone company foobar. ... Why do I feel companies should monitor their Internet traffic, ... One of the largest data pipelines in and out of Salomon are its Internet ... we are checking - not internal email. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • they are printing between wonderful, before wide-eyed, beneath likely delays
    ... Why do I feel companies should monitor their Internet traffic, ... One of the largest data pipelines in and out of Salomon are its Internet ... we are checking - not internal email. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • the levels, wrinkles, and blocks are all lost and philosophical
    ... when Aneyd joins the grateful radiation among the venue? ... Why do I feel companies should monitor their Internet traffic, ... One of the largest data pipelines in and out of Salomon are its Internet ... we are checking - not internal email. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Restrict access to certain sites
    ... Establish what is accepted use of the Internet. ... network or anything being removed from the network, ... Monitor only - Track what's done. ... restrict their logon since they're using their own and will eliminate the ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)