[fw-wiz] Re: Anybody Recognize These Uploads?

From: Mike Hoskins (mike@adept.org)
Date: 01/03/03


From: Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
Date: Fri Jan  3 13:50:01 2003

On Wed, 25 Dec 2002, Noonan, Wesley wrote:
>> Their admins should be more responsible. I know of a lot of places
>> that have taken to filtering out most of Europe and permitting only
>> what they require.
> And in return there are enough places who filter most of america and
> asia, so what's your point?

I think the clear point is that lazy admins (engineers, managers, etc.)
have caused the current, broken Internet.

Innocent email that gets caught by the RBL of the month, packets that get
blackholed because the last user started a SYN flood (and the current user
has no clue, nor dos the ISP/NSP's operations dept), etc., etc. Goodby
"open" Internet. Ahh, but what did we expect... As the number of people
on the Internet approaches the number of people in the real world, the
"open" and "idealistic" Internet (TCP/IP is idealistic) must become like
the real world and suck more every day.

It's easier to block a country, class A/B/C, etc. than it is to monitor,
inspect, track and resolve potential issues. Doing things simply because
they're easy, however, rarely leads to the desired result.

--
Mike Hoskins		This message is RFC 1855 compliant,
mike@adept.org		www.adept.org/pub/rfcs/rfc1855.html


Relevant Pages

  • Re: Another Warm Fuzzy - Millions of Health Freedom Fighters - Newsletter
    ... What I find, is that virtually every country has serious, ongoing work being done is what you are calling 'alternative' medicine. ... It is a place for discussion of problems with spam, and other email abuses by malefactors who clog the Internet with their junk, and what can be legally done to curtail it. ... Sys admins, Blocklist admins, and other users trade information there. ... No different than when folks want to talk about how to stop the barrage of sales phone calls, text message advertising and so on that scammers use to avoid having to PAY for what they advertise. ...
    (misc.health.alternative)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Re: Anybody Recognize These Uploads?
    ... >>> Their admins should be more responsible. ... > operations dept), etc., etc. Goodby "open" Internet. ... Security Engineering Process which is based on a taxonomy ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Implementing the bogon list
    ... various things that should not be "live" on the Internet. ... given the historical problems with admins not ... You can add the unassigned space to those fairly easily, ...
    (comp.protocols.dns.bind)
  • W2K3: Cant disable Internet Security warning/effect
    ... I have a Citrix server I am configuring on Windows Server 2003. ... -Applied GPO via inetesc.adm to restrict Enforce Internet Security. ... Internet Security is unchecked for admins ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.general)
  • When US-made censorware ends up in iron fists
    ... Despite Burma's record of repression, it's probably legal for American companies ... They may have been up against Internet censorship software ... Absence of federal regulation has allowed so-called censorware of at least four ... used filtering software of two other California firms: ...
    (soc.culture.malaysia)