RE: [fw-wiz] Telnet dropped

From: simon (simon.chan@netguard.bz)
Date: 01/02/03

From: "simon" <simon.chan@netguard.bz>
To: "Brian Gardner" <gardnerb@ci.lake-havasu-city.az.us>, <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
Date: Thu Jan  2 01:15:02 2003

Hi Brian,

there's several possibility.

Let's assume the other end doesn't have a firewall, Try to trace route and
ping the target host.

If it's ok, then it's possibility that the target host has some sort of
host filtering configured to
block out unauthorised ip or the telnet service is not started.

If there's a firewall, check with the other end to see if it's opened.

tks.

Rgds,

Simon Chan
Security Consultant
MCP, CCNA, CCSA, WCSP
31 Ubi Road 1, #07-00
Aztech Building
Singapore 408694
Cell : 9 382 5588

 "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."
- Hemingway

  • Re: Remote telnet through firewall failing
    ... > I have not found internet telnet to be the worst of the various security ... I was amazed that after months on the internet (directly to ... no firewall) there was no discernible problems. ... > firewall will open a port for that particular remote IP while the Java ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: Remote telnet through firewall failing
    ... >> I have not found internet telnet to be the worst of the various security ... I was amazed that after months on the internet (directly to ... no firewall) there was no discernible problems. ... have over 250,000 BSD machines for their hosting services. ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: telnet replacement - not ssh?
    ... telnet in combination with kerberos, s/key or srp ought to do as you ask. ... since part of the traffic is via the internet an unencrypted transport ... connect to it via ssh from outside via the firewall but nothing but telnet ... telnet from the tunnel terminus, so if work needs to be done on the ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: smtp to my isp (demon)
    ... Colin typed: ... telnet will not connect with using port 25. ... I have the firewall on the internet and email ... Demon do not block port 25 (tested this on the old server). ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: 45 days STUCK LIKE CHUCK. DNS / Mx record cant recieve emails
    ... I don't think it's Exchange since it's responding to telnet from the LAN. ... think it's the firewall, in which case it should be fixed if you run the ... still could be the Comcast router that's blocking the incoming connection. ... like Exchange not listening on the Internet NIC. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)