Re: [fw-wiz] finding security threats

From: Devdas Bhagat (dvb@users.sourceforge.net)
Date: 12/30/02

From: Devdas Bhagat <dvb@users.sourceforge.net>
To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
Date: Mon Dec 30 08:28:01 2002

On 30/12/02 12:42 +0530, Kilaru Sambaiah wrote:
> All the firewalls and other tools are designed for securing
> systems from any threat. Is there any way to find that my local
> systems are breaking systems some where. More genarically how
Just ensure that your firewall has filters on the outbound traffic also.

> does ISP's will actively look their customers are not hackers
> but legimate users and also how does viruses are not generated
> from their customer IP's.
There is no clean way to do this without compromising too much on
monitoring the customer traffic.
The best way is to assume that a customer is clean, and wait for
complaints. If there is a complaint, investigate it, watch that users
traffic.
As for viruses, force all customer email through the ISP relays, which
filter outbound mail for viruses, and possibly spam.
http viruses can be cuaght by watching webserver and proxy logs.
Please start a new thread with a new mail rather than replying to an old
one. It breaks threading.

Devdas Bhagat

Relevant Pages

  • virus alerts on exchange server 2k
    ... Exchange ... Ensure your Firewalls, ... clean, quarintine or report viruses. ... for protecting the server against virus ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange2000.general)
  • Re: Bill Gates company or ?
    ... buck* really shook me. ... background because there are some 76,000+ viruses, worms, backdoors, ... If the MS solution is 20 times more popular than another ... of a client machine that are not needed without resorting to firewalls. ...
    (rec.games.bridge)
  • Re: Hard Sci-fi?
    ... Viruses spread through _open_ systems. ... software to function because they have their firewalls turned up too high. ... intrusions, meaning that if you can't control what's open for access on ... computers rarely need firewalls. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.science)
  • RE: How to Manage different firewalls in one software
    ... On Behalf Of Shankar Arjunan ... Is there any software available to manage all firewalls like cisco pix, ... The security and reliability of email transmission cannot be guaranteed. ... It is the recipient?s responsibility to scan this e-mail and any attachment for the presence of viruses. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Formating
    ... > worked fine, including Norton. ... The next day the customer ... > called and said the computer was acting up and Norton ... My question is it possible that viruses ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)