Re: [fw-wiz] Telnet dropped

From: Erick Mechler (emechler@techometer.net)
Date: 12/24/02

From: Erick Mechler <emechler@techometer.net>
To: Brian Gardner <gardnerb@ci.lake-havasu-city.az.us>
Date: Tue Dec 24 16:25:02 2002

:: internet for research. When I try to telnet from the client machine to
:: either the internet service or directly to the firewall, the telnet session
:: never opens. Just get a "Could not open a connection to 'ip address of
:: firewall'". Firewall log shows a telnet session accepted but nothing
:: further.

Do a packet dump on your client system and on your firewall to analyze the
TCP/23 traffic. Make sure that you're getting replies from the remote
system, and if so, what kind of replies. It's possible the remote system
could be sending TCP RSTs, implying that the remote system isn't listening
for telnet. I assume you have FW-1 doing NAT for you as well? You can
also make sure that those rules are correct by doing tcpdumps.

Cheers - Erick

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Another Secure FTP thread -- Protection Levels
    ... through your firewall that is not authorized. ... FTP either restrict what commands can be sent or logging each command ... gateway or proxy system to act as an FTP relay ... between his system and the remote system. ...
    (comp.protocols.kermit.misc)
  • Re: Another Secure FTP thread -- Protection Levels
    ... gateway or proxy system to act as an FTP relay ... between his system and the remote system. ... There would then be two FTP ... firewall) to the remote system. ...
    (comp.protocols.kermit.misc)
  • Norton Internet Security 2004 - Program Control alert
    ... using the built in XP Firewall in addition to using NIS2004. ... > A remote system is attempting to access your computer ... These General Rules are really helpful. ...
  • Re: Troubleshoot remote administration setting in group policy?
    ... You can also use the portqry.exe utility to query the remote system to make sure you can get through on the ports used by WMI, ... Script Group Policy Settings with the GPExpert Scripting Toolkit for PowerShell! ... You can always open the firewall and check if your settings has been applied or not... ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • port 80 and sunrpc (111)
    ... client checks our email accounts now our firewall tells us "A remote system ... connection". ... This list is provided by the SecurityFocus ARIS analyzer service. ...
    (Incidents)