Re: [fw-wiz] "802.1x"?

From: R. DuFresne (dufresne@sysinfo.com)
Date: 12/19/02

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne@sysinfo.com>
To: Gary Flynn <flynngn@jmu.edu>
Date: Thu Dec 19 20:39:02 2002

And though it maybe redundant, this popped up today, informative read:

Full paper available at http://rr.sans.org/casestudies/deployment.php

   Is IEEE 802.1X Ready for General Deployment?
   Scott Baily
   April 7, 2002

   Abstract:
   Wireless LANs have been recognized as insecure for some time,
   especially for their lack of data confidentiality and access control.
   This paper examines the suitability of deploying IEEE 802.1X as the
   principal authentication mechanism for Colorado State Universitys
   wireless network. After careful consideration of wireless security
   issues and how 802.1X addresses those issues, it was decided that CSU
   should not incorporate 802.1X into its wireless network at this time.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Dumb question abt. Wireless WEP security
    ... There are new ways to help you make your wireless connection even more ... work with Cisco equipment. ... thing as TKIP except the server determines the hashed WEP key. ... the amount of traffic that is generated by the wireless network. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Frequent EAP Authentication
    ... Providing Secure Wireless Services ... IAS, open the Remote Access Policy, click the Edit Profile button, go to ... Microsoft Online Support ... | I've setup a 802.1x wireless network using WPA and TKIP. ...
  • Re: Cannot browse local or remote sites with any browser, FTP and email works fine
    ... I also used (in safe mode) several online port checkers and virus ... Q=> Are you using a NAT router? ... I have a Dlink wireless with ... > outside from using, abusing, or altering your wireless network ...
  • Re: WLAN security concerns
    ... I just set up a home wireless network and in the process ... Good question, Dave T. Wireless is in the air and if you don't properly secure your wireless network, then someone sitting outside your house can use your network and its bandwidth and get into your computers. ... Have a computer connected to the router with an ethernet cable. ... Your configuration utility may differ slightly from mine. ...
  • Re: WireleSs domain user logon problems
    ... > Wireless NIC's software when you logon to Windows, ... >> Actually, in some cases, if the wireless connection will not be ... Small Delay in Logon to Network When You Use a Wireless Network ...