Re: [fw-wiz] Stats on how common NAT is?

From: Daniel Linder (dan_linder@yahoo.com)
Date: 12/16/02

From: Daniel Linder <dan_linder@yahoo.com>
To: Michael Still <mikal@stillhq.com>, fw-wiz <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
Date: Mon Dec 16 17:40:03 2002

--- Michael Still <mikal@stillhq.com> wrote:
> I work as a software developer, and there has been some discussion at
> work
> as to how common NAT is in corporate environments (this affects
> whether we
> use DCOM or not).

If the one end of your DCOM connection is to be hosted at an ISP, there
is a good chance that the ISP has additional charges for a "live"
address (non-NAT). If the ISP is handing out non-RFC1918 addresses to
everyone who comes in, they will have a much harder time getting
additional address space from ARIN when they need to expand.

Dan

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [Full-disclosure] breaking news tools, for an ever changing community
    ... in the future though i think its workable for yahoo users to select a 'bind ... my account to my isp' where your account must be accessed by an 'aol' host, ... of 'isp recognition' than the user friendly yahoo version i''m talking ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: problems retrieving mail again - redux
    ... The POP server being run by your ISP is malfunctioning. ... Yahoo or Fastmail. ... Frontier, that company has seen fit to have Yahoo do whatever it does to make ... E-mail service was fully restored soon after my chat with the tech, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.misc)
  • Re: Distressing, possibly life threatening emails from free accounts (yahoo, hotmail
    ... weither or not they are an ISP. ... to give you the information of the account holder that was using the said IP ... If you have any problems with any of the email header stuff drop me a line ... >emails from a yahoo account that was created recently. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Anyone has this problem?
    ... Also, change your ISP. ... afterwords all my set firewall permissions were gone as if I deleted ... I was stating how I tried to re upload a pic to my bnwild56 yahoo ... I didn't...After the reset or refresh of my modem last night, ...
    (rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons)