Re: [fw-wiz] "802.1x"?

From: CTA (cta@hcsin.net)
Date: 12/15/02

From: "CTA" <cta@hcsin.net>
To: fw-wiz <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
Date: Sun Dec 15 10:49:01 2002

<bigger>From: Mikael Olsson
<<mikael.olsson@clavister.com>

To: fw-wiz <<firewall-
wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>

Subject: [fw-wiz] "802.1x"?

Date sent: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 12:52:47 +0100

> Hullo,

> Could someone clueful please take a minute or two and give
us all

> the "techecutive summary" of 802.1x? I've been trying to
piece

> together what exactly it's supposed to be doing, but
everything

> I've come across so far has been so buzzword-laden, it's
been

> impossible to glean real clue from.

> All I've understood is that it uses PPP EAP for authentication

> (by, for instance, talking to a radius server) - Which box is
the

> "EAP server"? I would assume that it's the

> endpoing ("base station"), but docs seem to suggest that

> it just gets passed through to some sever in the
background? -

> Then there's something about key exchange.... (?) - Is there

> built-in crypto layer, or is that supposed to be

> done by something else?

> - Does it rely on known-good crypto, or are they inventing

> own algorithms again?

> - Is it any good? :)

typical 802.x Wireless Access POP topology:

The Client /User (CU) such as Computers, PALMS, other
802 capable devices, the Authenticator or wireless
Access Point (AP), and the Authentication Server
(RADIUS).

***However, I believe that one should consider a
Bastion/FW/NAT as a fourth and essential component.
This also reduces the threat of disclosure integrity or
accessibility from a Man-In-The-Middle Attack, which is
one of the vulnerabilities of Key-based cryptography.
Mirowave (MASER) jamming (you can build one for
about $99) is another significant DDOS threat, but I will
save that for another time.***

The Client/User (CU) communicates via 900Mhz – 2 GHz
 RF to wireless Access Point (AP). The AP is typically
(or should be in IMO) installed behind a Bastion Host
FW / NAT Box, this way the Bastion/NAT can control
the distribution of Internet IP, or specific IEFT 1918
address space for controlled access to a VPN/Intranet,
i.e. access the “Network”.

Typically, the CU communicates authentication
information with the AP, which forwards the information
to a RADIUS server to authenticate and authorize access
to the Network by the CU. The authentication information
between the CU AP and RADIUS is exchanged using the
EAP/TLS method. EAP/TLS is a Certificate Based
authentication method, which uses dynamic rotating 128
bit WEP keys for data encryption.

The CU must be able to do EAP/TLS, which Micro$oft
WinXP is able to do. Beware of the flaw in softee’s
implementation of x509. I think this was patched, but not
sure.

The AP more or less is a forwarder of the authentication
information and its primary existence is to act as a
wireless converter and router/gateway.

The RADIUS server typically interfaces with a Certificate
 Server / Key Encryption application such as OpenSSL
manage the cryptography and certs.

The Bastion Host keeps, for the most part, the good fenced
 in and bad fenced out. A honeypot or two is a good
addition as well. It gives a place for the kids to play.

That’s a quick view IMHO…

bernie

cta@hcsin.net

bhH

“I don’t ware no stinken hat… Bald Hatless and
Hacking…”

> Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB

> Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK,
Sweden

> Phone: +46 (0)660 29 92 00 Mobile: +46 (0)70 26 222 05

> Fax: +46 (0)660 122 50 WWW: http://www.clavister.com

<nofill>
bernie|bhH
cta@hcsin.net
I don't ware no stiken hat...
    Bald, Hatless and Hacking since 1975

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Force first HTTP access to specific page?
    ... Terence Parker wrote: ... > I have a wireless access point that is deliberately open and offer wireless ... > my linux box such that it directs clients to a specific website on first ... > need authentication. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: IAS - Radius and Licensing
    ... authentication for wireless access? ... i.e with the Certificates,etc ... wireless RADIUS client is sending the authentication request, ... This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public ...
  • Re: Problem Accessing OWA
    ... be high enough to allow authentication ... "mis" wrote in message ... > Access in windows XP. ... > wireless access point and try to ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange2000.applications)
  • Simple RADIUS setup
    ... I am trying to MAC address authentication for a wireless access point that ... can use RADIUS MAC address auth. ... Proxy-Policy-Name = Use Windows authentication for all users ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • [NEWS] Cisco VPN 5000 Series Concentrator RADIUS PAP Authentication Vulnerability
    ... When a VPN 5000 series concentrator is configured to use a Remote ... Authentication Dial In User Service server to authenticate client ... This vulnerability is documented as Cisco bug ID CSCdx82483. ... Authentication mode, and validating against a RADIUS server, are ...
    (Securiteam)