Re: [fw-wiz] Stats on how common NAT is?

From: Mikael Olsson (mikael.olsson@clavister.com)
Date: 12/15/02

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson@clavister.com>
To: Michael Still <mikal@stillhq.com>
Date: Sun Dec 15 10:46:16 2002

Michael Still wrote:

> Does anyone have any pointers on how common NAT in corporate environments
> is? Why are these people using NAT, is it solely the expense of real IPs,
> or is it also for the added security?

Michael,

As you've already been told, the vast majority of companies do use
NAT, for a number of reasons.

However, I'd also like to point out that NAT is becoming more and
more common for home users. Anyone with more than one computer
is likely to have some small NATing box purporting to be a firewall
so that they can have all computers connected to whatever kind of
broadband Internet access they're using. One common reason for
this is that ISPs charge extra per IP.

Another common reason is that these "internet connection sharing"
boxes often come with NAT enabled by default.

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden

Relevant Pages

  • Re: An Autopsy of a Dead Social Network
    ... long before broadband became common. ... (Not that I'm sure *I* know the truth; ... Lots of corporations are running behind NAT, ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: IPv6 vs. IPv4 for embedded devices
    ... Would be tunneling (ipv4 over ipv6) solution? ... but NAT is probably much more common. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Are you protected by NAT?
    ... Beside NAT, you can also use anti-spoofing, which makes it almost ... impossible to get on your local network. ... Michael ... > yes, nat provides a fair amount of protection, since it provides (as a by- ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Are you protected by NAT?
    ... Beside NAT, you can also use anti-spoofing, which makes it almost ... impossible to get on your local network. ... Michael ... > yes, nat provides a fair amount of protection, since it provides (as a by- ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: is there anyone here?
    ... to be much interest in Mach nowadays. ... Dr. rer. ... nat. ... Michael Engel - engel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (comp.os.mach)