[fw-wiz] Re: Interlopers on the WLAN

From: Roger Marquis (marquis@roble.com)
Date: 11/06/02

From: Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
Date: Wed Nov  6 09:09:29 2002

"Moody, Thomas (Contractor) (DDC)" wrote:
> I would have to agree with Al on this one. Not implementing security
> measures, is like leaving the front door to a store open after hours.

Bad analogy. Most third party WLAN access is done "off-site" in
publicly accessible areas such as streets and parking lots. Neither
is there an unlocked door, nor any door for that matter, much less
means by which a war driver might distinguish between unsecured
private networks and open community networks.

> The fact that someone just 'waltzes' in and steals all your goods does
> not mean that a crime was not committed.

It's my impression that most war driving is done for general Internet
access. As such nothing is stolen but unused bits. I know when I
drive around with the 5db antenna my only goal is to check email
(via IPSEC and a single IP ACL).

> However, the owner would be
> looked at rather as rather stupid if he ran a business in such a
> fashion.

If buildings were constructed such that they had no doors or locks
and were built across property lines there might be some merit to
this argument but that's not the case. It's just electromagnetic
radiation broadcast well beyond the originator's property.

--
Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting