[fw-wiz] Interlopers on the WLAN

From: Philip J. Koenig (pjklist@ekahuna.com)
Date: 11/05/02

From: "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
Date: Tue Nov  5 11:07:29 2002

Please forgive if this has been covered before, I'm not reading the
group daily these days.

Is it reasonable to assume that those who access WLANs without the
permission of the owner are violating the same cybercrime laws that
apply to any unauthorized access of a computer network?

Some have recently argued this is not the case if someone doesn't
"enable the security features", but personally I don't see the
distinction between this kind of activity and anything normally
prohibited by laws such as California Penal Code section 502a and
various other cybercrime laws. It doesn't seem to me that the law
makes a distinction about whether the network in question was secured
or not. (what does 'secured' mean anyway?)

TIA,

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig