Re: [fw-wiz] sunscreen vs netbios

From: Mikael Olsson (mikael.olsson@clavister.com)
Date: 10/28/02

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson@clavister.com>
To: todd@bsd.uchicago.edu
Date: Mon Oct 28 19:49:56 2002

Todd Anderson wrote:

> I am having trouble getting sun to allow certian netbios traffic.
>
> netbios works if I manually map a share
> net use x: \\server\share /USER:domain\me
>
> however, when I try to browse the network or join a domain I never see a
> response comming back to the external interface of the sunscreen. (using
> snoop)

Generally speaking, MS networks can't be browsed through anything with a
routing table without extra work. The reason is their fondness for
broadcast name resolution. Broadcasts never exit the local network.
(What?!? Is there something other than thin ethernet cable? Naaah.)

My guess would be that you need a WINS server on the main network, that
you configure your client to use. Now, instead of only doing broadcast
resolution, your client will ask the WINS server where the domain is,
and what boxes can be reached. I am also told that W2K Dynamic DNS
will do much of the same, but I Don't Do That. :)

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Printing from Win9x clients stops
    ... Open Server Management. ... then right-click the name of the computer running Windows Small Business ... >From the client computer: ... The Select Network Component Type ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Printing from Win9x clients stops
    ... The printers with 9x drivers on the server appeared automatically in the ... > then right-click the name of the computer running Windows Small Business ... > From the client computer: ... The Select Network Component Type ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Daily Server Report (Critical Errors, Event ID: 537)
    ... Does this issue happen on client workstation or server? ... Does your server and all clients' workstation work well now? ... issue in your Network? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Small business thinking about backing up data, having a server and 2-3 users - is SBS200
    ... is networked to the Master with a crossover network cable. ... Master on the Master PC and Client on the Slave pc. ... Since this machine is a server is should handle the requests ok ... Most real firewall appliances have HTTP and SMTP proxy services that allow ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Private addresses on public network
    ... anybody accesses those computers from an external network," -- even when the ... JavaScript delivered to the client that causes the client to retrieve ... the attacker, the request results in another JavaScript response that tells ... Moving beyond a single server ...
    (Security-Basics)