[fw-wiz] Annoying pop-ups

From: David Hawley (rhino007_us@yahoo.com)
Date: 10/28/02

To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
From: David Hawley <rhino007_us@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Oct 28 17:07:20 2002

What is the port(s) that is used to send those annoying pop-ups in Windows
XP? Will the firewalling SW builtin to XP
stop them, or must one use a personal firewall (I am on a short term
contract, and the DSL router/firewall is back at
my home base).

TIA, David

Relevant Pages

  • Re: sick of Linux bias
    ... >> I will agree that any Windows system can be made sure by simply ... A guy "sick of Linux bias" cross posting to multiple ... Other than XP's attempt at firewalling, ... distributions do not have any firewalling capability. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Preventing exploitation with rebasing
    ... exploitation of your typical worm. ... >experienced in windows usually have little firewalling skills. ... Localized host-based hardening is fine for net-facing web servers ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: Firewall setup
    ... only insofar that the firewalling rejects unsolicited connections on ... could set up a firewalling rule that only allows access to port 22 from ... inquiring about firewalling are people who come from the Windows world, ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: antivirus prog to use with Ubuntu
    ... An additional variant exists for scanning incoming mail for Windows ... I think the whole firewalling thing is highly overrated and mostly ... Not only is it a surefire way of getting yourself into trouble, ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Annoying pop-ups
    ... > What is the portthat is used to send those annoying pop-ups in ... Will the firewalling SW builtin to XP ... If you are referring to the pop-ups genereated by the Windows messenger service ... firewall should handle this, it is a simple blocking of one port. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)