[fw-wiz] RE: Firewall Utilization

From: Zill, Greg (Greg.Zill@owh.com)
Date: 10/16/02

From: "Zill, Greg" <Greg.Zill@owh.com>
To: <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
Date: Wed Oct 16 12:02:01 2002

Sun e250 with Solaris 2.7
Raptor 6.5.3sp1
dual 368 CPU, 512 RAM, 1024 swap, 18Gb SCSI
two bonded t-1 lines

uptime common: 0.05 0.05 0.05

Enterprise VPN network is my concern, and boy am I glad I have the RAM
(minimal) and the dual cpu's
Actually have four of these machines. uptimes vary somewhat, mostly at
the NOCs that run either authoritative DNS with a udp-gsp handling that,
and web service networks with some volume.

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Joe Keegan wrote:

> I was curious if anyone would be willing to share the average
> utilization (CPU/Mem) of their firewalls and the average amount of
> traffic they deal with.
>
> After working with a few different companies firewalls, I have found
> that most are under utilized and often less expensive models could of
> sufficed. If you are not willing to share your utilization details,
> could you comment on your general experience with firewall
utilization.

> Thanks
>
> Joe

> Joe Keegan - joe@jjk3.com - (408)242-4588
> SANS GSEC & GCFW, CCSE, CCNA, CCDA, Sun Certified

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [fw-wiz] Firewall Utilization
    ... > After working with a few different companies firewalls, ... If you are not willing to share your utilization details, ... outages are probably more costly to most businesses than extra capacity. ... helps the balance sheets a lot more than $15,000 of up-front expense, then ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re:[fw-wiz] Firewall Utilization
    ... >After working with a few different companies firewalls, ... >that most are under utilized and often less expensive models could of ... just average CPU and memory utilization)? ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • [fw-wiz] Firewall Utilization
    ... utilization (CPU/Mem) of their firewalls and the average amount of ... After working with a few different companies firewalls, ... If you are not willing to share your utilization details, ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Firewall Utilization
    ... CPU utilization is sitting at about 60% right now, ... On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Joe Keegan wrote: ... > After working with a few different companies firewalls, ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)