Re:[fw-wiz] Firewall Utilization

From: Brian Ford (brford@cisco.com)
Date: 10/15/02

To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
From: Brian Ford <brford@cisco.com>
Date: Tue Oct 15 18:17:01 2002

Joe,

Hmm.

>After working with a few different companies firewalls, I have found
>that most are under utilized and often less expensive models could of
>sufficed.

So are you saying that most people should buy smaller, less powerful, less
capable, less expensive Firewalls? If you are lucky and you never get
probed or hacked you don't need a Firewall at all. Right?

Architecturally, shouldn't the Firewall be a part of your overall network
design and thus specified based on a wide variety of factors (more than
just average CPU and memory utilization)? If your Firewall administers
policy between a T-1 line and a 10/100 switch then you don't need GigE
interfaces. No?

I don't know if I see your point here? Where is this going?

Liberty for All,

Brian

At 03:49 PM 10/15/2002 -0400, Joe Keegan <joe@jjk3.com> wrote:

>Message: 5
>From: Joe Keegan <joe@jjk3.com>
>Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 09:43:22 -0700
>Subject: [fw-wiz] Firewall Utilization
>
>I was curious if anyone would be willing to share the average
>utilization (CPU/Mem) of their firewalls and the average amount of
>traffic they deal with.
>
>After working with a few different companies firewalls, I have found
>that most are under utilized and often less expensive models could of
>sufficed. If you are not willing to share your utilization details,
>could you comment on your general experience with firewall utilization.
>
>Thanks
>
>Joe

>Joe Keegan - joe@jjk3.com - (408)242-4588
>SANS GSEC & GCFW, CCSE, CCNA, CCDA, Sun Certified

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [fw-wiz] Firewall Utilization
    ... > After working with a few different companies firewalls, ... If you are not willing to share your utilization details, ... outages are probably more costly to most businesses than extra capacity. ... helps the balance sheets a lot more than $15,000 of up-front expense, then ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • [fw-wiz] RE: Firewall Utilization
    ... Sun e250 with Solaris 2.7 ... Enterprise VPN network is my concern, and boy am I glad I have the RAM ... > After working with a few different companies firewalls, ... If you are not willing to share your utilization details, ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • [fw-wiz] Firewall Utilization
    ... utilization (CPU/Mem) of their firewalls and the average amount of ... After working with a few different companies firewalls, ... If you are not willing to share your utilization details, ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Firewall Utilization
    ... CPU utilization is sitting at about 60% right now, ... On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Joe Keegan wrote: ... > After working with a few different companies firewalls, ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)