Re: [fw-wiz] Firewall Utilization

From: black@galaxy.silvren.com
Date: 10/15/02

From: black@galaxy.silvren.com
To: Joe Keegan <joe@jjk3.com>
Date: Tue Oct 15 17:22:01 2002

Nokia IP650 with 256mb mem, 4 port 10/100 nic

Deals with an average of 5-6mbps of traffic during the day (7am-6pm)
CPU utilization is sitting at about 60% right now, but it fluctuates
rather wildly depending on what's going on. Currently I'm getting scanned
and it's also cranking out about about 400 log entries/sec.

Under the same network load when I'm not being scanned, CPU usually sits
at about 20%.

Running Checkpoint 4.1SP3

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Joe Keegan wrote:

> I was curious if anyone would be willing to share the average
> utilization (CPU/Mem) of their firewalls and the average amount of
> traffic they deal with.
>
> After working with a few different companies firewalls, I have found
> that most are under utilized and often less expensive models could of
> sufficed. If you are not willing to share your utilization details,
> could you comment on your general experience with firewall utilization.
>
> Thanks
>
> Joe

  • Re: [fw-wiz] Firewall Utilization
    ... > After working with a few different companies firewalls, ... If you are not willing to share your utilization details, ... outages are probably more costly to most businesses than extra capacity. ... helps the balance sheets a lot more than $15,000 of up-front expense, then ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re:[fw-wiz] Firewall Utilization
    ... >After working with a few different companies firewalls, ... >that most are under utilized and often less expensive models could of ... just average CPU and memory utilization)? ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • [fw-wiz] RE: Firewall Utilization
    ... Sun e250 with Solaris 2.7 ... Enterprise VPN network is my concern, and boy am I glad I have the RAM ... > After working with a few different companies firewalls, ... If you are not willing to share your utilization details, ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • [fw-wiz] Firewall Utilization
    ... utilization (CPU/Mem) of their firewalls and the average amount of ... After working with a few different companies firewalls, ... If you are not willing to share your utilization details, ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Is onboard vidoe generally good enough?
    ... watching CBS using the Fusion software shows about 50% utilization, ... I believe the fusion software uses it's own decoder... ... > Since CPU utilization is highly dependent on CPU power/speed I do not know ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)