[fw-wiz] Hunt for VPN devices

From: Jeff Boles (bolesjb@yahoo.com)
Date: 10/14/02

From: "Jeff Boles" <bolesjb@yahoo.com>
To: <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
Date: Mon Oct 14 15:51:01 2002

Hate to ask this question here, but I'm a bit stumped - are there any
dedicated VPN devices left on the market?

I used to love the redcreek dedicated vpn devices (before they were acquired
by SonicWall).

These days, seems that all VPN services are either on a firewall or router
box, and I favor architectures which don't really use VPN on either. Still
stuck on the idea of being able to run and manage VPN separately, and
grouping this functionality on a firewall or router device muddies the
administration for clients, and adds unnecessary functionality, especially
for clients with restricted technical resources. Additionally, I don't
really like compromising on VPN functionality or firewall functionality, and
multipurpose boxes seem to require either that, or an excessively high cost.

Thanks for any suggestions,

JB.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: [fw-wiz] Hunt for VPN devices
    ... > I'm on the same hunt but not seeing any dedicated appliances left. ... > come down enough to where you could just use them for your VPN. ... seems that all VPN services are either on a firewall or router ... > grouping this functionality on a firewall or router device muddies the ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • RE: [fw-wiz] Hunt for VPN devices
    ... There is the Cisco VPN Concentrator Series, or OSS if you prefer the free ... seems that all VPN services are either on a firewall or router ... administration for clients, and adds unnecessary functionality, especially ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Hunt for VPN devices
    ... If you are looking for a device for clients to VPN into, ... seems that all VPN services are either on a firewall or router ... > administration for clients, and adds unnecessary functionality, especially ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • RE: Sandboxing
    ... the 3Com Embedded Firewall would be extremely useful and enabling (in ... your case) when you look at it in a VPN context. ... This security policy will accomplish quite a few things: ... During the Policy Server installation, ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Re: VPN Firewall for new webserver
    ... > I'm setting up a webserver at a colocation and I need to put a VPN ... You're not going to get a quality firewall for that amount, ... and D-Link makes a DI-804HV unit ... users access to the SQL server, let them do it through a VPN session. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)