Re: [fw-wiz] Firewalls on an IPX/SPX network

From: Victoria of Borg (vicofborg@myrealbox.com)
Date: 10/07/02

From: Victoria of Borg <vicofborg@myrealbox.com>
To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
Date: Mon Oct  7 21:11:01 2002

On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 16:32, Brian Bettger wrote:
> He has, in the past enjoyed a strictly IPX/SPX network knowing that this
> decreases his risk of exposing his servers. Is there a firewall product
> out there we can use that allows a VPN connection to utilize IPX/SPX for
> several and eventually tens of clients to map a drive to the Novell
> server(s)?

There is something to the idea of using IPX/SPX only on your LAN. What
are they doing for internet-access, if I may ask? You do mention that
the users would be using DSL/Cable for access.

Novell Bordermanager (http://www.novell.com/products/bordermanager/)
does have a VPN client, and I've seen documentation of past versions
include specifics of how to configure the VPN client for IPX access.
They've even received ISCA certification of their firewall product.
However, the latest version of the product requires Netware 5.1 and
eDirectory 8.6.2 to work, something your client is a few years away
from.

If he isn't afraid of running two NDS trees, it could work. I honestly
don't know if they still have IPX support in their VPN client, but they
did once-upon-a-time.