Re: [fw-wiz] separating the servers on a switch

From: Jared Valentine (hidden@xmission.com)
Date: 09/13/02

From: Jared Valentine <hidden@xmission.com>
To: Shimon Silberschlag <shimons@bll.co.il>
Date: Fri Sep 13 07:17:31 2002

Shimon:

Many people have suggested standalone firewalls as a method to accomplish your goal. One other way to do this would be to place an individual firewall inside each server. The best way to do this is to use individual PCI-based firewall cards inside each server. I would recommend looking into PCI firewalls from the following companies:

3Com Embedded Firewall
        - http://www.3com.com/security/
        - $170 to $250 per server
Simple Access Server Protector
        - http://www.simpleaccess.com/site_files/docs/products/server_protector.html
        - Last I saw it was about about $1600 per unit
Merilus Firecard
        - http://www.provantage.com/scripts/go.dll/-s/fc_meri
        - $350-$750 per server

Each product has it's own pros and cons. A little more research is probably warranted. Good luck!

Jared Valentine
hidden@xmission.com