RE: [fw-wiz] Statistics for Firewalls

From: John Adams (jna-dated-1032203522.6b0d21@retina.net)
Date: 09/11/02

To: Joe Matusiewicz <joem@nist.gov>
From: John Adams <jna-dated-1032203522.6b0d21@retina.net>
Date: Wed Sep 11 15:41:29 2002

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Joe Matusiewicz wrote:

> At 02:54 PM 9/11/02, John Adams wrote:
>
> >I had similiar problems with ntop. What I usually do is to filter out of
> >the traffic I deem useless with a tcpdump expression.
> >
> >For example, do you really need to know every DNS connection? Hell no,
> >filter that. Filter NNTP. Filter all SMTP that isn't bound for your main
> >mail server. Filter out NetBIOS.
>
> Actually, that wasn't an option. At the time I was most interested in
> bandwidth usage to decide on whether to get a bigger pipe. I needed to see
> the whole picture.

Ahh, I suppose MRTG didn't work out for you, then? It's a much better tool
for the job, but I bet you've already been told that. :)

-john

--
J. Adams					http://www.retina.net/~jna
Fiber line / Shine, Enlight the Globe / In Light, communicate / Connect.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Aux sail fuel filter change cycle
    ... inevitably there will be some fiber sites that are not resinated. ... Cellulose decomposes in the presence ... if you are using the typical resinated papaer filter ... fuel, should be a function of the total amount of fuel that flows through ...
    (rec.boats.cruising)
  • RE: [fw-wiz] Statistics for Firewalls
    ... >I had similiar problems with ntop. ... >the traffic I deem useless with a tcpdump expression. ... >filter that. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • RE: Network Traffic Monitor
    ... You then use ntop to monitor for things you ... Running ntop with the filter: ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: [fw-wiz] Statistics for Firewalls
    ... > much until ntop was unusable. ... filter that. ... able to increase our network peformace by going after people who were ... using serious amounts of bandwidth and have some idea of what the general ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)