Re: [fw-wiz] Statistics for Firewalls

From: Volker Tanger (volker.tanger@discon.de)
Date: 09/10/02

From: Volker Tanger <volker.tanger@discon.de>
To: "Sutantyo, Danny" <DSutantyo@livingstonintl.com>
Date: Tue Sep 10 14:05:02 2002

Greetings!

Sutantyo, Danny wrote:
> Has anybody done statistics from Cisco PIX firewall or CheckPoint FW-1
> firewall?
>
> My boss wants to have a report every week something like a graph that
> contains protocol, bandwidth, load, etc...

fwlogsum, for example - or WebTrends. Maybe give Analog with a custom
logfile format entry a try.

> So I know CheckPoint FW-1 has a module but from some people don't recommend
> to use that module because it will increase the load of the production
> FW-1.

Yes - if you want to know the bytes transferred you will need to switch
from "short" or "long" tracking to "accounting" - which in return will
increase the load. If your machine is not maxed out already, you should
try the increased "accounting" logging.

> So the only way I can do is to export the log from the GUI to ASCII and do
> it in Excel, but the problem is that the log viewer does not tell me the
> bandwidth, just the number of event.

Aha - using excel indicates a low traffic site as the excel sheet
otherwise exceeds bonds way too quickly. For bigger logfile you will
have to use specialized tools.

Bye

Volker Tanger
IT-Security Consulting

--
discon gmbh
Wrangelstraße 100

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Excel Addins Not Loading on Start
    ... Excel then decides whether to load ... It seems like a pain to load up each addin ... > addins the user has checked off already in their addins menu. ... >>> I am using a program called Progress to open up an excel window. ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)
  • Re: Compact
    ... How many cells does excel think you are using. ... The number of forms and controls on forms could load the program down. ... Simplify your code modules. ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)
  • RE: please help me, asp!!
    ... Not at all angry. ... Since you have posted your query in the Excel Programming group; ... 1- the load stay the same in all time intervals ... 3-might have sudden change of load at some time ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)
  • Re: Controlling Text Loading
    ... If this is going to be a one-off load then consider ... I pretty much knew this was really testing the limits of> Excel and that only minor improvements are likely with such a large data set> to load and search. ... At present although the data is mainly numerical,> I have set cells to text, also would it be beneficial to load each string as> a complete string rather than chop it up?. ... >> Dim intFreeFile As Integer, i As Long, j As Long, strTemp As String ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)
  • Office Professional re-install
    ... documents including Excel, Access, Word, and Power Point user files. ... I attempted to load her Office Professional version on to my resurrected ... How can I get to my very important Excel, Word, Access, and Power Point ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)