[fw-wiz] Warchalking?

From: Paul D. Robertson (proberts@patriot.net)
Date: 08/21/02

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts@patriot.net>
To: <firewall-wizards@honor.trusecure.com>
Date: Wed Aug 21 09:28:01 2002

The press seems eager to latch on to "Warchalking"[1] as "popular"- but it
seems to me that other than those offering their own bandwidth- people
would be rather silly to leave evidence of "borrowing" 3rd party bandwidth
and leaving evidence in a place that's visible enough for the unsuspecting
host to find.

Has anyone seen any evidence of it's popularity, or are we subject to the
usual press frenzy about anything they consider "sexy?"

I'm guessing that if it is indeed popular, it's in places like NYC and SF-
where I don't get a lot of time to wander around looking for chalk marks.

Anyway, I'd appreaciate any comments- if you want to reply off-list (or if
it's must "nope, haven't seen it" or "Yep, saw some"- I'll probably
summarize the responses for the list. Preferred would be "I work in
Manhattan and I've yet to see a scribble," or "Out here in Toronto, Canada
they're all over the place, I've seen 14 this week!"

Thanks,

Paul
Paul D. Robertson "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts@patriot.net which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
probertson@trusecure.com Director of Risk Assessment TruSecure Corporation

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Why Evolution is a metaphysical hypothesis
    ... >>> The oldest fallacy of all an appeal to popularity. ... > Your religion appears no different from the others. ... You could claim that the evidence is insufficient to bear the weight of the conclusions, but denying the existence of the voluminous evidence supporting common descent with modification through the agency of natural selection and other processes make you look like an idiot; there are literally billions of observations supporting that conclusion. ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Bowing
    ... relying on its popularity as support. ... Not if the concept is consistent throughout the entire history of the human ... not the popularity of a belief. ... That *is* evidence; 'best evidence' available. ...
    (rec.martial-arts)
  • Re: Israel Suspends Ties With Vatican
    ... Jews as if that means that is why those 4 guys were excommunicated, ... evidence convinces me that they are valid. ... Popularity is very low on my list of priorities. ... Ain't the First Amendment wonderful? ...
    (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
  • Re: Israel Suspends Ties With Vatican
    ... Jews as if that means that is why those 4 guys were excommunicated, ... evidence convinces me that they are valid. ... Popularity is very low on my list of priorities. ... but since the government isn't involved the First Amendment has nothing ...
    (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
  • Re: Bowing
    ... Depends on what's acceptable as the preponderance of the evidence. ... Again, Chas, popularity is not evidence. ... I'm not sure God even has fingerprints, ...
    (rec.martial-arts)