Re: [fw-wiz] concerning ~el8 / project mayhem

From: Paul D. Robertson (proberts@patriot.net)
Date: 08/19/02

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts@patriot.net>
To: Barney Wolff <barney@tp.databus.com>
Date: Mon Aug 19 09:10:01 2002

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Barney Wolff wrote:

> A "recognized security expert" is going to be a target. Price of fame,
> and all that. Would you trust an overweight cardiologist?

Personally, I wouldn't evaluate a cardiologist based on their weight, but
on how well they knew cardiology.

There's an old saying- "The cobbler's children have no shoes" which isn't
explained off by saying that the cobbler makes shoddy shoes- but that he's
too busy making shoes for others to have produced them for his own
children.

Having the data is different than knowning how to evaluate it. Without
knowning a cardiologist's skills in cardiology picking metrics and basing
an evaulation on them is like choosing a firewall based on the
colo[u]r of its box.

Let's say said cardiologist spent so much time studying cardiology that
she didn't get any exercise- would you really dismiss her over a skinny
cardiologist who spent all his time running marathons and very little of
it studying cardiology? What if our esteemed overweight cardiologist had
gland problems- is that a reason to disqualify her as a cardiologist?
What if our unesteemed underweight cardiologist had a drug problem- would
you still choose him first?

Paul
Paul D. Robertson "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts@patriot.net which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
probertson@trusecure.com Director of Risk Assessment TruSecure Corporation