RE: [fw-wiz] Wireless

From: Paul Robertson (proberts@patriot.net)
Date: 08/09/02

From: Paul Robertson <proberts@patriot.net>
To: "Scott, Richard" <Richard.Scott@BestBuy.com>
Date: Fri Aug  9 15:04:30 2002

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Scott, Richard wrote:

> Why not restrict access via MAC addresses on the wireless cards? This would
> be a preventative measure.

That's only helpful for keeping people off a wireless network, not for
keeping wireless off a wired one. Let's say someone has a laptop with
802.11b built-in-- containing and controlling the perimeter gets more
difficult as the hardware transmits over multiple mediums.

Let's say your administrators are worried about layoffs and want to leave
themselves a WAP-enabled backdoor into the company network, or the sales
person who's been logged into the hotel/airport's wireless network on the
road comes back into the office-

I believe that there are better ways than doing periodic audits to
determine this- I'm just curious as to how others are approaching these
issues.

Thanks,

Paul
Paul D. Robertson "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts@patriot.net which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
probertson@trusecure.com Director of Risk Assessment TruSecure Corporation

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Boosting wireless internet reception
    ... the mum got a new Mac desktop. ... When we were trying to shoot the wireless signal from the house to the ... extending antenna" from Belkin - with a fitting that would connect to ... *NOTHING* - no sign of a wireless network in existence anywhere within ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • RE: Dumb question abt. Wireless WEP security
    ... There are new ways to help you make your wireless connection even more ... work with Cisco equipment. ... thing as TKIP except the server determines the hashed WEP key. ... the amount of traffic that is generated by the wireless network. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Frequent EAP Authentication
    ... Providing Secure Wireless Services ... IAS, open the Remote Access Policy, click the Edit Profile button, go to ... Microsoft Online Support ... | I've setup a 802.1x wireless network using WPA and TKIP. ...
  • Re: Cannot browse local or remote sites with any browser, FTP and email works fine
    ... I also used (in safe mode) several online port checkers and virus ... Q=> Are you using a NAT router? ... I have a Dlink wireless with ... > outside from using, abusing, or altering your wireless network ...
  • Re: WLAN security concerns
    ... I just set up a home wireless network and in the process ... Good question, Dave T. Wireless is in the air and if you don't properly secure your wireless network, then someone sitting outside your house can use your network and its bandwidth and get into your computers. ... Have a computer connected to the router with an ethernet cable. ... Your configuration utility may differ slightly from mine. ...