[fw-wiz] Is the order of the rules entered in iptables important?

From: Kenny G. Dubuisson, Jr. (kdubuisson@kcmria.com)
Date: 08/01/02

From: "Kenny G. Dubuisson, Jr." <kdubuisson@kcmria.com>
To: <firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com>
Date: Thu Aug  1 08:20:01 2002

Hello all. I'm new to the list. I have a quick question: does the order in
which rules are added for an iptables table matter? I have a firewall that
has a pre-built iptables script that runs on boot. Once the system boots,
I'm trying to add additional rules to the default chains but my rules are
not working. I was wondering if that is because the boot script has, as
it's last rule, a DENY target and since it was "entered" before my new
rules, the DENY is always hit first.

Thanks in advance,