Re: [fw-wiz] PIX vs Checkpoint vs Sonicwall vs Netscreen - comments?

From: Nimesh Vakharia (nvakhari@clio.rad.sunysb.edu)
Date: 07/29/02

From: Nimesh Vakharia <nvakhari@clio.rad.sunysb.edu>
To: "Erik M. Bataller" <uhguhg@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Jul 29 16:31:02 2002

Are you looking at a firewall from a Service Provider perspective for
deploying the fw's at the SOHO/home users? If tahts the case take a look
at iPolicy Networks ipEnforcer. Its a high end box that sits in the core
network and can create virtual instances of fw/ids/url filtering/avs/ddos
blocking all in one integrated platform on a per SOHO/home user basis. One
device can support upto thousands of home users for a service provider who
wants to resell this as services to their customer, it has centralized
management and the management has great hooks to manage the thousands of
users.

Nimesh.

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Erik M. Bataller wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are currently evaluating several remote firewall
> devices for broadband usage:
>
> SonicWall TZ
> PIX 501
> Intrusions PDS 1150
> Netscreen
>
> I've been poking around the net for some recent
> comparisons and what not about the different platfomrs
> to no avail so I've decided to approach the user
> community.
>
> There will be several hundred at least and I figure
> that some folks out there may have some interesting
> thoughts or comments on the different platforms that
> may have escaped us. We are looking for the good, the
> bad and the ugly. The critical issues are:
>
> security issues of the individual platform
>
> management issues (sw, firmware, policy)
>
> mechanisms for managing virus sw revisions
>
> dual vs triple interfaces
> we'd like to separate "home" from "work"
>
> thnx.

  • Re: [fw-wiz] PIX vs Checkpoint vs Sonicwall vs Netscreen - comments?
    ... deploying the fw's at the SOHO/home users? ... blocking all in one integrated platform on a per SOHO/home user basis. ... device can support upto thousands of home users for a service provider who ... > We are currently evaluating several remote firewall ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Check Point Question
    ... My points were made to address an "inexpensive" platform, ... worse, in my opinion, is in OS cost to realized benefit. ... restrict it to serving only as a Firewall platform. ... To run an enterprise level firewall installed ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Check Point Question
    ... Several issues contribute to the total cost of installing a fire wall. ... To run an enterprise level firewall installed on ... TCO higher for using a Unix platform. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Security on RH6.2 Advice: harden or upgrade?
    ... the 6.2 platform for installation and may take a little bit of effort ... - place machine on DMZ - open for external incoming https connections ... - No connections to machines behind firewall allowed. ... being too old and try to port the app to something more recent? ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Firewall
    ... AOL's proprietary connection applet is deliberately ... include enabling/disabling WinXP's firewall, which is ... as all are protected from the real Internet behind AOL's ... AOL is _not_ an Internet Service Provider; ...