Re: [fw-wiz] FWTK and smap/smapd

From: Brian Hatch (firewall-wizards@ifokr.org)
Date: 07/17/02

From: Brian Hatch <firewall-wizards@ifokr.org>
To: Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
Date: Wed Jul 17 17:44:19 2002

> >Much of the spam I used to receive came from forged hotmail.com accounts.
> >Very little spam actually comes from hotmail, so I don't want to just block
> >them since there are some legitimate correspondents of mine that use their
> >mail (heck, I use a hotmail address sometimes when I'm on the road..)
>
> Ron Guilmette has patches that do this for Postfix at
> <http://www.monkeys.com/anti-spam/filtering/additions.html>. I
> tried them but had too many false positives, even for the commonly
> forged domains like hotmail. They did catch some spam though it
> never more than 2 or 3% of the daily filtered total.

SpamAssassin (which is usually called from your delivery agent,
not your MTA) does catch these forgeries with very good accuracy.
You might want to give it a try.

--
Brian Hatch                  If you think there
   Systems and                there is good in

Relevant Pages

  • Re: OE and Hotmail
    ... Please keep in mind that MSN/Hotmail is still a free email account. ... Accessing the account in OE or OL is what MSN/Hotmail is beginning to charge ... (Of course, Hotmail is ... The problem with spam doesn't necessarily refer to *received* spam but, ...
  • Re: Newsgroup filtering with host server software
    ... Hotmail offers free and "for pay" accounts with extra services. ... was spam. ... If the company is able to get business where you are required to travel, ... Does the business have an Internet presence? ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: OE and Hotmail
    ... Mr Kelsey, ... > Please keep in mind that MSN/Hotmail is still a free email account. ... > All Hotmail accounts are personal accounts. ... > but, mainly, sent spam, most of it virus-laden. ...
  • Re: Hotmail spam limit
    ... > any more spam and unwanted e-mail addresses. ... How can I get Hotmail to block these spammers ... you really think spammers are using the same valid e-mail address ... Using blocked sender lists based on their e-mail ...
    (microsoft.public.internet.mail)
  • Re: KOREAN SPAM: HOWTO deal with it???
    ... >>> I've got at least 2 friends who use hotmail. ... >> Tim, if I had to deal with such friends at the professional sites I've ... I would bet that the ratio of spam to ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)