Re: [fw-wiz] FWTK and smap/smapd

From: Roger Marquis (marquis@roble.com)
Date: 07/17/02

From: Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To: firewall-wizards@honor.icsalabs.com
Date: Wed Jul 17 16:53:01 2002

Rick Murphy wrote:
>Like? Examples, lots of them (or at least one).
>
>OK.
>Much of the spam I used to receive came from forged hotmail.com accounts.
>Very little spam actually comes from hotmail, so I don't want to just block
>them since there are some legitimate correspondents of mine that use their
>mail (heck, I use a hotmail address sometimes when I'm on the road..)

Ron Guilmette has patches that do this for Postfix at
<http://www.monkeys.com/anti-spam/filtering/additions.html>. I
tried them but had too many false positives, even for the commonly
forged domains like hotmail. They did catch some spam though it
never more than 2 or 3% of the daily filtered total.

--
Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Personal note regarding emails/posts
    ... I've found Hotmail unreliable. ... because of spam, but my sister started using it, so I quit filtering. ... I also have Yahoo and Mail.com accounts. ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: OE and Hotmail
    ... Outlook or Outlook Express access to Hotmail. ... "Free Hotmail customers who want to use ... If all Hotmail accounts are personal, ... With so much spam going through Hotmail, it's a wonder MS doesn't shut it ...
  • Re: Newsgroup filtering with host server software
    ... Hotmail offers free and "for pay" accounts with extra services. ... was spam. ... If the company is able to get business where you are required to travel, ... Does the business have an Internet presence? ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: OE and Hotmail
    ... Please keep in mind that MSN/Hotmail is still a free email account. ... Accessing the account in OE or OL is what MSN/Hotmail is beginning to charge ... (Of course, Hotmail is ... The problem with spam doesn't necessarily refer to *received* spam but, ...
  • Re: OE and Hotmail
    ... Mr Kelsey, ... > Please keep in mind that MSN/Hotmail is still a free email account. ... > All Hotmail accounts are personal accounts. ... > but, mainly, sent spam, most of it virus-laden. ...