Re: [fw-wiz] FWTK and smap/smapd

From: Joseph S D Yao (jsdy@center.osis.gov)
Date: 07/17/02

From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy@center.osis.gov>
To: Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
Date: Wed Jul 17 13:16:00 2002

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 08:20:27AM -0700, Roger Marquis wrote:
> Postfix's smtpd is essentially smap on steroids. ...

I did not know that the Obtuse 'smtpd' was being distributed with
'postfix'. It does roughly the same thing as 'smap'.

I would not consider "using 'postfix' as a proxy" to be the same thing
as "using 'smtpd' as a proxy," however. The latter is better then the
former. I don't know if anyone has gone through it with an eye to
security auditing, though. I would appreciate hearing if anyone has.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy@center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B

  • "securing" postfix (was Re: Did I send that? (reading postfix logs))
    ... If you relay for it then it isn't hosted locally. ... relayhost parameter tells postfix to send all mail via smtp to another ... If on your laptop you never receive mail (via smtp) from the outside ... simply not start the smtpd process. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] FWTK and smap/smapd
    ... But Postfix and qmail both use modern design techniques for secure ... Postfix's internal SMTP daemon process is, understandably, called ... smtpd, despite the fact that another program of the same name has ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • TCL Scripting for Postfix Policy Server.
    ... I'm trying to develop a tcl policy server for postfix. ... some problem when i have to puts "action=DUNNO" to smtpd ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • piping unknown number of elements to an array
    ... I need to write a script that monitors our postfix. ... nothing shows except the grep statement. ... What I want to do is load each of these lines into an array so I can loop through ...
    (comp.unix.shell)