Re: [fw-wiz] FWTK and smap/smapd

From: Frederick M Avolio (fred@avolio.com)
Date: 07/17/02

To: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy@center.osis.gov>, Russell Van Tassell <russell@loosenut.com>
From: Frederick M Avolio <fred@avolio.com>
Date: Wed Jul 17 09:35:39 2002

At 07:06 AM 7/17/02 -0400, Joseph S D Yao wrote:
>I am willing to hold
>my breath for a while and believe that Fred can grok sendmail in toto,
>and Marcus can grok postfix in toto. ;-) I don't.

No, and your point is an essential point that many miss. And I think it
bears a brief focus (and if you are reading this, the moderator agreed).
Even Eric Allman (father of Sendmail), cannot understand a program with 10s
of thousands of lines of C code. It is way too complex. But we could look
at 10 lines and come up with a high level of assurance that a server like
this is bug free and safe. We can do it less easily with 100 lines, or even
1000 lines.* Though our level of assurance might be less, it is still
possible. We -- no one, is what I mean -- could never do that with 80,000
lines of code.

[* Okay, I used to be a programmer, but now I would fall back to old habits
and ask Rick or Marcus for help. :-)]

Fred
Avolio Consulting, Inc.
16228 Frederick Road, PO Box 609, Lisbon, MD 21765, US
+1 410-309-6910 (voice) +1 410-309-6911 (fax)
http://www.avolio.com/