US-CERT Technical Cyber Security Alert TA06-291A -- Oracle Updates for Multiple Vulnerabilities
- From: CERT Advisory <cert-advisory@xxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 14:56:39 -0400
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
National Cyber Alert System
Technical Cyber Security Alert TA06-291A
Oracle Updates for Multiple Vulnerabilities
Original release date: October 18, 2006
Last revised: --
* Oracle10g Database
* Oracle9i Database
* Oracle8i Database
* Oracle Application Express (formerly known as Oracle HTML DB)
* Oracle Application Server 10g
* Oracle Collaboration Suite 10g
* Oracle9i Collaboration Suite
* Oracle E-Business Suite Release 11i
* Oracle E-Business Suite Release 11.0
* Oracle Pharmaceutical Applications
* Oracle PeopleSoft Enterprise Portal Solutions
* Oracle PeopleSoft Enterprise PeopleTools
* JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Tools
* JD Edwards OneWorld Tools
* Oracle Reports Developer client-only installations
* Oracle Containers for J2EE client-only installations
For more information regarding affected product versions, please see
the Oracle Critical Patch Update - October 2006.
Oracle has released patch to address numerous vulnerabilities in
different Oracle products. The impacts of these vulnerabilities
include remote execution of arbitrary code, information disclosure,
and denial of service.
Oracle has released the Critical Patch Update - October 2006.
According to Oracle, this CPU contains:
* 22 new security fixes for the Oracle Database
* 6 new security fixes for Oracle HTTP Server
* 35 new security fixes for Oracle Application Express
* 14 new security fixes for the Oracle Application Server
* 13 new security fixes for the Oracle E-Business Suite
* 8 new security fixes for Oracle PeopleSoft Enterprise PeopleTools
and Enterprise Portal Solutions
* 1 new security fix for JD Edwards EnterpriseOne
* 1 new security fix for Oracle Pharmaceutical Applications
Many Oracle products include or share code with other vulnerable
Oracle products and components. Therefore, one vulnerability may
affect multiple Oracle products and components. For example, the
October 2006 CPU does not contain any fixes specifically for Oracle
Collaboration Suite. However, Oracle Collaboration Suite is affected
by vulnerabilities in Oracle Database and Oracle Application Server,
so sites running Oracle Collaboration suite should install fixes for
Oracle Database and Oracle Application Server. Refer to the October
2006 CPU for details regarding which vulnerabilities affect specific
Oracle products and components.
For a list of publicly known vulnerabilities addressed in the October
2006 CPU, refer to the Map of Public Vulnerability to Advisory/Alert.
The October 2006 CPU does not associate Vuln# identifiers (e.g., DB01)
with other available information, even in the Map of Public
Vulnerability to Advisory/Alert document. As more details about
vulnerabilities and remediation strategies become available, we will
update the individual vulnerability notes.
The impact of these vulnerabilities varies depending on the product,
component, and configuration of the system. Potential consequences
include remote execution of arbitrary code or commands, sensitive
information disclosure, and denial of service. Vulnerable components
may be available to unauthenticated, remote attackers. An attacker who
compromises an Oracle database may be able to gain access to sensitive
information or take complete control of the host system.
Apply patches from Oracle
Apply the appropriate patches or upgrade as specified in the Critical
Patch Update - October 2006. Note that this Critical Patch Update only
lists newly corrected vulnerabilities.
As noted in the update, some patches are cumulative, others are not:
The Oracle Database, Oracle Application Server, Oracle Enterprise
Manager Grid Control, Oracle Collaboration Suite, JD Edwards
EnterpriseOne, JD Edwards OneWorld Tools, PeopleSoft Enterprise
Portal Applications and PeopleSoft Enterprise PeopleTools patches
in the Updates are cumulative; each Critical Patch Update contains
the fixes from the previous Critical Patch Updates.
Oracle E-Business Suite and Applications patches are not
cumulative, so E-Business Suite and Applications customers should
refer to previous Critical Patch Updates to identify previous fixes
they want to apply.
The October 2006 CPU lists 35 vulnerabilities affecting Oracle
Application Express. These vulnerabilities are addressed in Oracle
Application Express version 2.2.1. Oracle Application Express users
are encouraged to upgrade to version 2.2.1 as soon as possible.
Vulnerabilities described in the October 2006 CPU may affect Oracle
Database 10g Express Edition (XE). According to Oracle, Oracle
Database XE is based on the Oracle Database 10g Release 2 code.
Patches for some platforms and components were not available when the
Critical Patch Update was published on October 17, 2006. Please see
MetaLink Note 391563.1 (login required) for more information about
Known issues with Oracle patches are documented in the
pre-installation notes and patch readme files. Please consult these
documents and test before making changes to production systems.
* US-CERT Vulnerability Notes Related to Critical Patch Update -
October 2006 -
* Critical Patch Update - October 2006 -
* Critical Patch Updates and Security Alerts -
* Map of Public Vulnerability to Advisory/Alert -
* Oracle Database Security Checklist (PDF) -
* Critical Patch Update Implementation Best Practices (PDF) -
* Oracle Application Express 2.2 Downloads -
* Oracle Metalink Note 391563.1 -
* Oracle Database 10g Express Edition -
* Analysis of the October 2006 Critical Patch Update for the Oracle
* Details Oracle Critical Patch Update October 2006 -
The most recent version of this document can be found at:
Feedback can be directed to US-CERT Technical Staff. Please send
email to <cert@xxxxxxxx> with "TA06-291A Feedback VU#717140" in the
Produced 2006 by US-CERT, a government organization.
October 18, 2006: Initial release
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
- Prev by Date: US-CERT Technical Cyber Security Alert TA06-283A -- Microsoft Updates for Vulnerabilities in Windows, Office, and Internet Explorer
- Previous by thread: US-CERT Technical Cyber Security Alert TA06-283A -- Microsoft Updates for Vulnerabilities in Windows, Office, and Internet Explorer